Academy Strength & Conditioning Coach
Wigan Athletic FC
Wigan, United Kingdom
Job Role Summary
|Job Title||Academy Strength & Conditioning Coach|
|Location||Wigan, United Kingdom, Europe|
|Function||Sports Science & Medicine — Doctor|
|Employment Terms||Permanent, Full Time|
|Closing Date||Applications must be submitted by Friday, 22nd October 2021 at 6:00pm|
Job Role Details
- Implements, with the Lead Academy Sport Scientist; strength, power, and injury prevention programs with the under 18 squad including planning, periodising, monitoring and documenting sessions.
- Conduct pitch-based speed, change of direction, agility, and conditioning sessions to under 18s squad. Support and lead, where required, the day release strength and conditioning including strength, speed, movement, and power programs both as squads and on individual basis with under 13s to under 16s.
- Develops and implements movement screening for players under 13 to under 16 players on day release.
- Designs, in conjunction with the Lead Academy Sport Scientist, detailed injury prevention programmes for all players under 13 to under 18.
- Takes regular body fat measurements for all players from under 18s to 23s.
- Works in collaboration with Academy medical staff on end stage rehabilitation programmes with injured players.
- Completes specific strength and power work as well as field-based fitness for return to play.
- This may also include development squad and 1st team players on occasions. Lead nutrition provision to u18 players and educate on nutrition strategies for performance & recovery.
- Works in collaboration with all members of the medical and sport science department to promote best practice and contribute to department CPD sessions.
- Completes regular testing and benchmarking across all academy age groups to monitor physical development.
- Supports the Head of Education and Welfare with education support & informal education once a week with the under 14s to under 16s.
The successful candidate will have:
BSc degree in Strength & Conditioning or BSc degree in Sport and Exercise Science / Sports Coaching with MSc degree in Strength & Conditioning.
- Current and valid EFAiF Certificate Demonstrable experience of implementing Strength and Conditioning programs with group sessions and on an individual basis.
- Experience of successfully developing and implementing strength, power and injury prevention programs.
- Experience of working with young athletes, preferably in professional football.
- Knowledge of the latest best practice /research of implementing strength & conditioning programs/speed/agility/injury prevention screening and monitoring strategies.
- Proficient in dealing with GPS data to inform decision making, and liaise with coaching staff
- Understanding of the current best practice in the use of supplements and ergogenic aids in the management of athlete's nutrition.
- Proficient in exploring both internal and external load monitoring protocols in order to aid decision making with regards to player development
- Ability to use the PMA electronic system to log and store monitoring data within EPPP rules.
- Proven ability to engage, enthuse and communicate with young athletes, preferably in professional football.
- Passionate about the field of strength & conditioning, and athletic development Motivated by a passion for quality and great service delivery.
- Ability to successfully work in a team.
- Committed to learn and continuously develop. Self-motivated with the ability to manage and prioritise workloads
- Flexible to meet the requirements of the management and coaching staff.
- Willingness to work flexible and unsocial hours including evenings and weekends.
Anti-Discrimination and Equal Opportunities
Wigan Athletic FC is committed to eliminating discrimination whether by reason of gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, colour, religion or ability and to encourage equal opportunities.
Please note that to apply for this job with our client you must first sign in to your Sport Careers member account.
If you're not already a member of Sport Careers you can create a FREE member account now.
Unsolicited applications to our client for this job role, outwith our approved application process, are likely to be ignored.