Southend United FC
Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England, United Kingdom
Job Role Summary
|Job Title||Academy Manager|
|Location||Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England, United Kingdom, Europe|
|Function||Coaching & Performance — Academy Management|
|Employment Terms||Permanent, Full Time|
|Closing Date||Applications must be submitted by Friday, 28th January 2022 at 6:00pm|
Job Role Details
Hours of Work
Standard working week of a minimum of 40 hours. In addition, you will be required to work outside of normal office hours, at evenings, weekends and on bank/public holidays for training, match days, and other business events.
To be ultimately responsible for the Management of the Academy and developing, defining, implementing and monitoring the Club's Playing Philosophy, Coaching Philosophy and Coaching Curriculum.
To work closely with the Head of Academy Coaching, Academy Operations Manager/Secretary and all other coaches to ensure that all required EPPP evidence is collated appropriately and documented on the PMA/Club's systems.
- To work closely with the First Team Head Coach and the Board of Directors on all matters appertaining to the control and direction of the Academy, with the objective of developing talented young players into the club's first team.
- Formulation, implementation and management of the Club's Academy Performance Plan.
- Manage the Academy programme and oversee the day to day running of the Academy.
- Play an important role as a coach (i.e. the Club's Youth Team), therefore time will be spent coaching and preparing for the relevant games programme. Manage and delegate Academy team responsibilities.
- Manage the EPPP audit process and ensure all criteria are met and implemented each three-year cycle.
- Ensure all staff within the Academy has a comprehensive understanding of the Premier League PMA system and all entries are kept up to date.
- Manage all Academy staff including ensuring appropriate CPD and bi-annual appraisals are undertaken. Additionally prepare and coordinate weekly itineraries for full time staff within the Academy and carry out regular Academy staff appraisals ensuring staff files are in line with club policy ensuring that all staff has in place regular 1:1 supervision as well as bi-annual appraisals which follow clear targets and outcomes.
- Monitor all areas of performance within the programme and implement associated actions and contributes to the overall youth development plan.
- Ensure a robust recruitment infrastructure is in place for the recruitment of players into the Academy at all age groups working with the Head of Academy Recruitment, Head of Academy Coaching, Lead Professional Development Phase Coach, Youth Development Phase Lead Coach and Foundation Phase Lead Coach.
- Monitor the Academy Operations Manager/Secretary in respect of the administration of the EFL Youth Alliance games programme to ensure efficient communication with other participating Clubs on a weekly basis to arrange fixtures and details as necessary.
- Provide all necessary assistance to the EFL in connection with its on-going monitoring and annual evaluations of the Academy and to the ISO in connection with the ISO audits.
- Organise, in conjunction with other Academy staff, appropriate in-house training for all full and part time staff.
- Have overall responsibility for the recruitment of Academy staff in consultation with the relevant department heads.
- Maintain staff record files and act as line manager to Academy staff.
- In conjunction with the Head of Academy Coaching, oversee the Academy coaching programme from U9 to U18.
- Attend Academy games at all age groups and ensure good communications with staff, parents and players.
- In conjunction with the Head of Academy Coaching, design, implement and manage the Academy's coaching curriculum.
- Ensure the Academy is continually achieving the standards required to retain its category status within the EPPP guidelines.
- Work with the Head of Education to ensure educational standards are met and meet with the club's player development model.
- Work closely with all key stakeholders including parents, staff and players.
- Manage Academy budget to monitor expenditure in conjunction with the football club finance department to meet the needs of the Academy.
- Manage and deliver mid-year and yearly financial reports on all aspects of finance to the EFL to coordinate and monitor Academy expenditure.
- Be the strategic lead for the Academy, specifically working alongside Football in the Community in creating strong local partnerships with Junior Clubs and Leagues.
- Attend annual meetings for gathering updates and reports from the EFL and local regional bodies as required.
- Ensure clear professional communication is in place with all stakeholders including facilities, schools, clubs, players and parents.
- Ensure all policies and procedures are in place across all areas of the Academy including Health & Safety, Risk Assessment and Safeguarding.
- Ensure the recruitment, management and monitoring of a coaching and support staff work force to enable the effective delivery of the Academy Performance Plan/Academy coaching/fixtures programme.
- In conjunction with the Designated Safeguarding Officer ensure all policies, practices and procedures relating to the safeguarding of young people are implemented and updated annually.
- Participate in media activities covering the Academy.
- Work with appropriate staff to ensure player reviews are completed in accordance with EPPP rules and that these reviews are communicated to both players and parents.
- Support Academy recruitment by overseeing the introduction and assessment of players attending the club for trials at all age levels.
- Observe and be subject to the rules, regulations, articles and by-laws of the EFL and the FA and any other relevant footballing authority.
- Comply with all reasonable directions given by the Board or representative person.
- FA Youth Award (all three modules).
- FA Advanced Youth Award.
- UEFA A Coaching Licence.
- FA Safeguarding & FA Emergency Aid.
- Enhanced DBS Clearance.
- Clean driving licence.
- Academy Managers Licence.
- FA Coach Education Qualification.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with the Premier League PMA system.
- A working knowledge and understanding of coaching and coach development ensuring that all Academy staff are undertaking relevant continual professional development working with Head of Academy Coaching, Professional Development Phase Lead Coach, Youth Development Phase Lead Coach and Foundation Phase Lead Coach.
- Provide coaching support to the Professional Development Phase where required, working with the Professional Development Phase Lead Coach.
- Experience in talent identification and recruitment of players.
- An understanding of sports science and medicine.
- Competence in all MS Office packages with experience of recording and reporting information.
- Experience of dealing with minors and an excellent understanding of Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures including the relevant clearances for individuals.
- An understanding of the EFL Youth Development rules and regulations.
- Previous experiences of management within an elite sports environment.
- A comprehensive understanding of the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP
- Experience of managing a youth development programme at a professional football club.
- Experience of managing staff, budgets and partnerships.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluating funded programmes.
- Proven coaching and team management experience within a youth/development programme at a professional football club.
- Experience of being able to effectively communicate with colleagues and partners at all levels.
- Experience and understanding of policies and procedures in an Academy environment including EPPP, safeguarding and welfare of players and staff.
- Experience of working within a teaching or education environment.
Anti-Discrimination and Equal Opportunities
Southend United FC is committed to eliminating discrimination whether by reason of gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, colour, religion or ability and to encourage equal opportunities.
Please note that to apply for this job with our client you must first sign in to your Sport Careers member account.
If you're not already a member of Sport Careers you can create a FREE member account now.
Unsolicited applications to our client for this job role, outwith our approved application process, are likely to be ignored.