2016 Client Review: Gary Naysmith
- Sport Careers Agency client Gary Naysmith began 2016 in charge of East Fife in League Two
- Won promotion and the League Two title in May
- Named League Two Manager of the Year shortly after
- Appointed manager of Championship Queen of the South in December
- First management role for Naysmith at a full-time club
Sport Careers Agency client Gary Naysmith will remember 2016 as the year that he jumped from Scottish football's fourth to second tier.
The former Scotland full-back began the year in a promising position with his East Fife team challenging for promotion from League Two.
With 38 year-old Naysmith still regularly pulling on his boots as well as managing the side, the Fifers continued their impressive form. Naysmith was named Ladbrokes League Two Manager of the Month in March as his men homed in on the title.
A 0-0 draw away to Clyde on 17 April was enough to see East Fife crowned champions with two games to spare.
Naysmith's dream season was rounded off with him being crowned Ladbrokes League Two Manager of the Year in May.
The beginning of the 2016/17 saw the Fifers rack up some impressive results in the revamped Betfred League Cup.
Premiership Dundee were beaten on penalties at the Bayview Stadium after a 1-1 draw on 16 July, before Championship side Dumbarton went down 2-0 at home to Naymith's men three days later.
Naysmith received yet more personal recognition when he was named League One Manager of the Month for September.
His ever-growing reputation hadn't gone unoticed by bigger clubs, and on 1 December Naysmith was officially unveiled as new manager of Championship outfit Queen of the South.
Edinburgh-born Naysmith called time on his illustrious playing career- which included notable spells with Hearts, Everton and Sheffield United as well as 46 caps for his country- after taking over at Palmerston Park.
Queens are the first full-time club Naysmith has managed, and top of his New Years' resolution list will be to bring stability and success to the Dumfires side, who have changed manager twice already this season.
Naysmith's 2017 Highlights
- 4 April: Named Ladbrokes League Two manager of the month for March with his East Fife side on course for promotion
- 16 April: 0-0 draw away to Clyde secures promotion and the league title with two games to spare.
- 26 May: Named Ladrokes League Two Manager of the Year.
- 16 July: East Fife beat Premiership Dundee on penalties in the Betfred League Cup after a 1-1 draw at Bayview.
- 19 July: Leads East Fife to a 2-0 win away to Championship Dumbarton.
- 14 October: Named Ladbrokes League One Manager of the Month for September.
- 1 December: Appointed manager of Championship Queen of the South- his first managerial role at a full-time club.