Director of Coaching
- Date Joined: 15th March 2019
These are the same attributes that have allowed me to overcome the disappointment of injury as a young player and go on to establish myself as an internationally recognized coach, academy manger, author and soccer business owner.
I was raised in Northern Ireland and immigrated to Canada in 1981. In 2000 I founded 1v1 Soccer and was motivated by the desire to provide young Canadian players with the same training experiences provided by leading soccer nations.
1v1 Soccer went on to be recognized as one of Canada’s leading private academy programs and I have been fortunate to have had the opportunities to study the player development models at Wolves (England), Sevilla FC, Malaga and RCD Espanyol (Spain), FC Porto (Portugal) and Chievo Verona (Italy). Within the last year I have increased my focus on individual player development by establishing
Ian McClurg Learn Perform Coaching which provides coaching support, at the individual level, to young players seeking to progress to higher levels of play.
During my coaching career to date I have successfully worked with over 20 players (Male and Female) who have went all on to represent Canada at the international level and to have successfully scouted and trained players who have progressed to playing at Wolves, Swansea City, Toronto FC and Hercules CF academy programs.
- Studied academy models in UK (Wolves), Spain (RCD Espanyol, Sevilla FC, Malaga ), Portugal (FC Porto) and Italy (Chievo Verona)
- Completed Masters thesis on the differences in Talent Development systems between Europe and North America
- Successfully assisted in the progression of several young Canadian players to play at professional football academies in Europe and North America
- Training philosophies profiled in several European, Canadian and US coaching publications
- Author of Play the 1v1 Way! A Talent Development Book for Players, Parents and Coaches